Applying for my Visa

Getting my visa application in the mail was my top priority as soon as I got my welcome packet with my Certificate of Eligibility. Honestly, doing my visa application wasn’t that difficult. I think I spent more time quadruple checking that I had everything I needed to send than I actually spent on the application.

As mentioned in my previous post, I will be applying for a “Work and Long-Term Stay Visa.” The application for the “Temporary Visitor” and “Long-Term” Visas are actually the same (at least they are for me), but what separates which visa you apply for is the documents that you send with it.

In the United States, for a long-term (more than 3 months stay) visa, you’ll need to provide:

  • your visa application
  • your original Certificate of Eligibility
  • a copy (font and back) of your Certificate of Eligibility
  • proof of residency
  • your original Passport (not a copy)
  • passport sized photo

NOTE 1: If you’re not a US citizen but are in the US, you’ll also need proof of legal residency.

NOTE 2: If you are choosing to mail your application instead of dropping it off in person, you’ll also have to sign a release form (basically stating the consulate isn’t responsible if any of your documents get lost in the mail).

NOTE 3: If you want your Passport mailed back to you instead of picking it up in person, you’ll need to include a self-addressed return envelope with tracking (i.e. FedEx, UPS, USPS).

NOTE 4: There may be a fee for your visa. There are quite a few countries that are exempt from this fee, but many are not, so make sure you check if there are any fees before you send your application. The United States is one of the countries that are exempt from this fee.

Check out the website for your local Japanese Consulate for more detailed information about applying for a visa.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top